In line with Government Health and Safety precautions in operation for the duration of the Covid-19 Virus, Ki Kai Shiatsu School’s premises at Liverpool Road Community Centre, Laycock Street N1 1LP are now open again.
The following Ki Kai Courses will run in 2021:
- 1st Year Certificate in Movement Shiatsu,
- the 2nd and 3rd Year Diploma in Movement Shiatsu, and the
- Diploma in Shiatsu Completion Year,
For more information on all our courses check the Ki Kai Calendar and if you have any questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org To speak with a tutor, call Bill Commerford: +44 (0)7876 43 29 39
Ki Kai has offered professional training in Shiatsu since 1988 and we now offer the full undergraduate 3-year training in Movement Shiatsu. This consists of a one year Certificate in Movement Shiatsu followed by a two year Diploma in Movement Shiatsu. We also offer a Diploma in Shiatsu Completion Year, which supports students who have done two or more years in Shiatsu but who are looking to complete assignments, case studies etc. Our courses are supported by an on-line virtual school, workshops and residential courses
We also recommend that anyone interested in attending our longer courses that it useful to attend our workshops or residential events. These offer personal development and “taster” experiences for the general public, current and former students and prospective students and those interested in finding out about what is involved in training solely for personal development and leisure interest, or the additional commitment and study required in a professional training before committing to enrolment on our Certificate or Diploma courses.
The Shiatsu Society UK is the professional body to which registered shiatsu schools are affiliated. The Shiatsu Society promotes shiatsu and monitors how consistency of professional standards in teaching and learning are delivered across shiatsu schools in the UK. Every three years affiliated schools undergo a ratification process, a comprehensive audit of our performance in how we deliver the Shiatsu Society learning outcomes-based Core Curriculum. As a result of Ki Kai achieving full ratification in October 2019, our students who have fulfilled all Certificate and Diploma course requirements will automatically attain professional status, qualifying as Members of the Register of the Shiatsu Society UK (MRSS).
We attempt to deliver, monitor and evaluate consistency of the highest standards of Shiatsu theory and practice and how we can better adapt and apply relevant skills and techniques necessary to meet our students’ diverse needs and learning styles. We’ve found that students have engaged with and responded positively to the clarity that learning outcomes-based teaching and learning brings to Shiatsu, both in practical techniques and in the appropriate application of theory.
The first year Certificate in Movement Shiatsu is pitched on attaining Level 3 National Occupational Standards (NOS) with Laser Learning, whose learning outcomes are designed to evidence students’ understanding of what they have learnt. On successful completion of twelve months’ study, having demonstrated completion of all the required learning competencies and assignments at this level, students can treat family and friends but are only permitted to work on members of the public, provided that the student has student insurance and indemnity and is working in a supervised space or project: i.e. a student clinic supervised by a qualified teacher, or a project or organisation in which the student may treat members of the public, providing that the student is working under supervised conditions. These safeguards are necessary for student and client in order to ensure the highest standards of professional safe and supervised practise. It is also an excellent way of transitioning for the supervised student to navigate their way towards solo professional practise, whilst still being able to benefit from supervision and tutorials during their training.
The Shiatsu Society Core Curriculum guidelines are pitched at Professional Diploma Level 4 National Occupation Standards (NOS) with Laser Learning, whose learning outcomes are designed to evidence students’ understanding of what they have learnt. On successful completion of three years study, having demonstrated completion of all the required learning competencies and assignments at this level, students are entitled to apply for full professional insurance and indemnity to treat members of the public.
Only prospective students who have not previously studied at Diploma Level 4 are invited to apply for funding from their local authority. If you are applying, please note that funding isn’t mandatory, so students are responsible for organizing this in advance of the commencement of the course.
Our training is equally suitable for those wishing to become professional Shiatsu therapists as well as those seeking self-development and personal growth. Learning to become sensitive and responsive to the physical and personal changes in our clients inevitably brings about profound changes in us; this work can genuinely be described as life changing.
The next Certificate and Diploma courses at Ki Kai will commence in September 2021. These courses are preceded by three stand alone introductory workshops, which are designed to give you a taste of the school, our teaching style and for you to see if Ki Kai feels right for you.
The 1st Year Certificate in Movement Shiatsu Course and Diploma in Shiatsu Completion Year Courses run over 10 weekends approximately monthly on both Saturday and Sunday. The Ki Kai teaching style is informal and supportive, our emphasis is on experiential learning and exploratory approaches to working more interactively with clients as the essence of Movement Shiatsu.
Fees for courses are payable on-line or by standing order.
The one off payment has an Early Bird 20% reduced price if paid in full before 31st July 2021. There are also options to pay by three termly payments, or ten monthly payments.
Dates of the course are as follows:
Autumn 2021 Term
- 18th & 19th Sept 2021 Weekend 1
- 9th & 10th Oct 2021 Weekend 2
- 30th & 31st Oct 2021 Weekend 3
- 20th & 21st Nov 2021 Weekend 4
- 18th & 19th Dec 2021 Weekend 5
Spring 2022 Term
- 8th & 9th Jan 2022 Weekend 6
- 29th & 30th Jan 2022 Weekend 7
- 12th & 13th Feb 2022 Weekend 8
- 12th & 13th Mar 2022 weekend 9
- 8th & 9th Apr 2022 Weekend 10
Summer 2022 Term
- 14th & 15th May 2022 Weekend 11
- 11th & 12th June 2022 Weekend 12
- 10th & 11th April 2021 Weekend Workshop
- 8th & 9th May 2021 Weekend Workshop
- 15th May 2021 Introductory Workshop
- 12th & 13th June 2021 Weekend Workshop
- 19th June 2021 Introductory Workshop
- 10th & 11th July 2021 Weekend Workshop
- 11th September 2021 Introductory Workshop
- 7th May 2022 Introductory Workshop
- 18th June 2022 Introductory Workshop
For further information on Ki Kai Certificate, Diploma, Postgraduate, Refresher Courses and Workshops visit https://email@example.com
To speak with a tutor, call Bill Commerford +44 (0)7876 43 29 39.
Introductory Workshops 2021
If you have booked for any of the following Ki Kai Workshops listed below, that these will all run as planned, provided the present closure restrictions are lifted at least four weeks before the start of the workshops on each of their respective dates. Anyone who has already booked, if their workshop doesn’t run as presently scheduled will be entitled to a full refund, or a place on the appropriate re-scheduled workshop date/s, if necessary, once the present restrictions are lifted.
- 10th & 11th April 2021 – Asking For & Getting Our Needs Met: An Introduction to the 1st Family – Earth & Metal Organs & Meridians of the Tai Yin (Lung & Spleen) and Yang Ming (Large Intestine & Stomach) We’ll explore ways of treating interactively and enabling clients to inhabit their breath in movement shiatsu treatments; we’ll also look at trusting our boundaries, what supports us and asking for and getting what we want in a treatment. Book Here:
- 8th & 9th May 2021 – Compassion & Clarity, Excitement & Motivation: An Introduction to the 2nd Family – Primary Fire and Water Organs and Meridians of the Shao Yin (Kidney & Heart) and Tai Yang (Small Intestine & Bladder): We’ll explore connecting with our core physical being, the clarity of Bones and voice work in treatments, ways to work gently with clients that is attuned to their needs; sensitivity to vulnerability and yet challenging our edges to overcome what inhibits us towards embodying who we are. Book Here:
- 12th & 13th June 2021 Working with Conflict & Integration: An Introduction to the 3rd Family – Secondary Fire & Wood Organs & Meridians of the Shao Yang (Triple Heater & Gall Bladder) and Jue Yin (Heart Protector and Liver): We’ll explore integrated movement and working with breath and fascia towards releasing habitual tension patterns and ways of assisting clients to address this themselves. Book Here:
- 10th & 11th July 2021 – Revisiting the Three Families – a weekend exploring Movement Shiatsu, the 6 Forms of Touch and Inner Qigong. Book Here:
For more information on all our workshops and courses check the Ki Kai Calendar and if you have any questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org To speak with a tutor, call Bill Commerford: +44 (0)7876 43 29 39